“There’s an app for that” is probably a phrase you’ve heard or said many times over the past 15 years since Apple’s revolutionary iPhone mobile app popularized it. The average American has 80 apps downloaded to their phone A GIPIA study. The same study found that the Apple App Store has more than 2 million apps.
Also: I spent a weekend with Amazon’s free AI course, and recommend you do the same
Among the millions of apps available on the App Store, some are transforming digital culture and helping us get the most out of our digital experience.
From apps that help us learn languages and find the best flight deals to games that encourage us to build sustainable digital cities, behind every game and app is a team that aims to bring a digital experience to life.
To honor these app and game developers, designers and creators, Apple’s App Store editors have compiled the 2023 annual App and Game of the Year list for iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV and Apple Arcade.
Also: Increase your security and productivity with the best Mac apps
Here are the most influential apps of 2023, according to Apple.
iPhone App of the Year Finalist
- All trails: An app that helps users navigate outdoor hiking, biking, running and walking trails
- Duolingo: An app that guides users through learning more than 40 languages with the help of a spunky, green owl.
- flying: An app that offers radar, taxi times, commercial flight data and more to travelers unsure of their plane’s location.
iPad App of the Year Finalist
- idea: An infinite canvas for aspiring digital artists.
- The DaVinci Solution: An editing software that combines editing and color correction in one place.
- Pret-a-makeup: A digital face for makeup artists to test on all skin tones in all lighting conditions.
Mac App of the Year finalist
- Linearity curve: An Illustrator Studio optimized for graphic designers and marketing teams.
- Photometer: An all-in-one photo editing studio.
- portal: A productivity application that targets users’ cognitive performance.