Bang Bang Sauce, with its simple yet sophisticated flavour, is a must-try for anyone who likes to add a little liveliness to their meals. The creamy base of the mayo is perfectly complemented by the sweet heat of the chili sauce and the customizable flavor of Sriracha, allowing you to customize the level of spice to your preference. A touch of honey balances the flavours, creating a harmonious blend that is both inviting and delightful. Its versatility makes it a great choice for a variety of dishes, whether you’re seasoning dinners for the week or adding a special touch to party snacks. Plus, its quick and easy preparation makes it a convenient sauce for busy moms looking to add a touch of flavor to their cooking without spending hours in the kitchen.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy: Ready in minutes, perfect for busy schedules.
- Customizable heat: Adjust the Sriracha to suit your spice preference.
- Versatile use: Great as a dip, sauce or sauce for a variety of dishes.
- Perfect for entertaining: A big hit at parties, BBQs and family gatherings.
Bang Bang Sauce Ingredients and Substitutes
Each ingredient in Bang Bang Sauce plays a crucial role:
- mayonnaise: Creates a creamy base. Replace it with light or vegan mayonnaise, or Greek yogurt for a lighter version.
- Sweet chili sauce: Adds sweetness and moderate heat. For a less sweet alternative, try apricot jam mixed with a little hot sauce.
- Sriracha: Provides a spicy kick, adjustable to taste. Use hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes as a substitute.
- honey: Balances flavors with a touch of sweetness. Maple syrup or agave nectar are great alternatives.
Using substitutes may affect the final taste and texture.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can definitely make this sauce ahead of time. In fact, preparing them in advance is a great idea if you plan to use them at a party or gathering. The flavors will have time to meld together, resulting in a more flavorful sauce. Store the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Yes, Bang Bang Sauce is a great marinade for meat, poultry or seafood. Simply brush the sauce over the food and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes (or up to overnight) before grilling, baking, or frying. The sauce will add a delicious layer of flavor to your dishes and help keep the food moist and juicy.
The heat level of Bang Bang Sauce can be adjusted to your personal preference. If you are sensitive to spice, you can reduce the amount of Sriracha or chili sauce used in the recipe. Additionally, you can add more honey or mayonnaise to balance the heat.
This recipe makes enough sauce for a small gathering, but it’s easy to double or triple the recipe as needed.
Did you know?
Bang Bang Sauce has its origins in Chinese cuisine, where it was originally served as a complement to the traditional dish “Bang Bang Ji” (ground chicken). The name “bang bang” refers to the wooden stick used to tenderize the chicken. This initial version featured a sesame sauce, showcasing local ingredients and flavours. Over time, as the sauce gained popularity in the West, it evolved into the creamy, sweet and spicy version known today, blending Asian culinary traditions with Western tastes.
Serving Suggestions for Bang Bang Sauce
Bang Bang sauce is known for its versatility, making it an excellent accompaniment to a wide range of dishes. Its unique blend of creamy, sweet and spicy flavors can enhance meals in various cuisines. Here are some creative and delicious ways to serve Bang Bang Sauce:
- As a retreat: Perfect for appetizers, Bang Bang Sauce pairs wonderfully with finger foods. Try it with crispy chicken nuggets, spring rolls, tempura vegetables, or as a dipping sauce for French fries and sweet potatoes. It’s also a hit at parties as a dip for shrimp cocktail.
- With seafood: The sweet and spicy notes of the sauce are a natural complement to seafood. Drizzle it over shrimp or salmon or use it as a glaze for baked fish. It’s especially delicious with fish tacos, adding a creamy flavor that elevates the dish.
- In sandwiches and wraps: Spread Bang Bang sauce on sandwiches and wrap them for extra flavor. It goes well with cold cuts, grilled chicken, or crispy tofu. Add it to a veggie wrap or classic BLT for an exciting twist on the plain sandwich.
- With Asian cuisine: Embrace its Asian roots by using it in dishes like stir-fries or as a dressing for Asian noodle salads. It can also be mixed into fried rice or sprinkled over steamed vegetables for extra flavor.
- In grilled and grilled meats: Use Bang Bang Sauce as a marinade for chicken, pork, or beef before grilling. Its flavor works great with barbecue, adding a delightful twist to traditional grilled meats.
- For breakfast and lunch: Add an unexpected yet delicious twist to your breakfast or brunch by serving it with scrambled eggs, an omelet, or a breakfast burrito. It can also be a great addition to avocado toast.
find the mistakes and resolve it
- Sauce too thick? Dilute it with a little water or lemon juice.
- too hot? Add more mayonnaise and honey to balance the heat.
- Not hot enough? Gradually add more Sriracha until desired heat is reached.
- Does the sauce separate after storing? Just give it a good stir to recombine.
Tips from the chef
- For a softer feel, Beat vigorously or use a blender.
- Let the sauce rest for a few minutes after mixing To mix the flavors
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
- Freeze: Not recommended.
Watch the video below Caitlin will guide you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we always provide you with our cooking demonstration. You can find the full collection of recipes at Youtube, Watch Facebook, Or we have Facebook pageOr here on our website with the corresponding recipes.